Friday, August 12, 2005

Homecoming

My kid's back from NY, so there's games to be played, legos to be built, ice cream to be eaten, and a new school to be checked out. But here are a few linkies:
  • Qantara has a piece about Marcel Khalife that's sort of cool. A snippet: 'With the rise of conservative and radical Islam in the 90s after the crises of the pan-Arab national ideology and the Marxist ideology, Khalifeh tried to re-define Arab music using Darwish's poems ...'
  • Jeannette Winterson has an Op-Ed in the London Times about Playboy, which starts: 'I have a soft spot for Playboy: I wish women had such sexual freedom.' (I don't know what she's talking about. Playboy usually gives me a hard spot, and women do have such sexual freedom.)
  • The newest issue of the LRB has a mildly entertaining piece on (lit) toursim, as well as a purty essay on London memorials.
  • In the independent, Boyd Tonkin advocates that "... any politician who wishes to shore up, not undermine, an indigenous "culture of tolerance" should be reading John Milton".
  • 1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not sure if I mentioned this at the time, but Marcel Khalife should've certainly been on your hot Arab guys list. He defined sensitive New Age politicized guy to me when I was so young as to not even know such a paradigm existed.

    11:19 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home