Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What I've Been Reading

With the internet off at home and the kiddo at school, I've been-gasp!- doing a bit of reading. Books, not blogs. It's been nice. Here's a little list of stuff I've read (the strarred ones I am still in the process of inhaling):

SISTER, by Jim Lewis.

This book is extraordinary. I read it in one sitting.

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF ALICE B. TOKLAS, by Gertrude Stein.

I guess this book doesn't really need an introduction. I went to Sarah Lawrence, and rebelled against reading books that everyone was reading, but I'm glad, because when I finally did read it, I loved it.

*BECOMING AMERICAN, by Alixa Naff.

All about how Arab-Americans came, peddled, and almost assimilated their culture away.

WATERLOO, by Karen Olsson.

I have no idea what the NYTBR was talking about. Every character in this book is vivid and well-crafted. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

EL PUENTE, THE BRIDGE, by Ito Romo.

A gorgeous little book that bridges the stories of several Mexican/American women on both sides of the border.

*THE END OF THE AFFAIR, by Graham Greene.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to read this. Better late than never?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home