Monday, April 24, 2006

Things I'll miss about Austin

I know it's a bit soon to be nostalgic (I can't help it; it's genetic), but please: Indulge me.

I will miss my son's school. It's a badass little anti-institutional institution with classrooms as big as my apartment--about 1,100 square feet. Which means my kid can be loud and dramatic and run around. Plus there are no grades, no homework assignments, and they garden and hike. He made these papier-mache masks in art class. His art teacher is wonderful.Coffee shops. I know there'll be coffee shops in Ann Arbor, but there's something about Austin coffee shops that can't be replicated, such as the presence of things like sit-down hair driers:in the middle of the yard. I'm also going to miss yummy bakeries like Quak's:
Again, there are tons of awesome bakeries in Ann Arbor. But do they make Marvelous Morning Muffins (nuts, cranberries, apples, carrots, sugar, sugar, sugar, and bran)??? Gosh, I'm going to have to sleep with a baker to get the recipe. Don't worry about me. It'll be fun: he's hot. And I'm also going to miss Almost-Perfect blue skies:



By the way, these pics were made with an old Hi-Matic E Minolta, and the film speed was off...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're moving to the Arab capital of the USA!?!?!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Elka said...

what an amazing change this is going to be for you! new discoveries everywhere!

that said, i still miss austin and i only lived in san marcos for 2 1/2 years and then moved back to the bay area. i think that, beyond the specific places, austin also has that beautiful maverick spirit that is the true missing element with many other places.

2:49 PM  
Blogger rockslinga said...

anonymous: yes, i am.

elka: you've out your finger right on it... it's the maverick spirit that I'll miss! it'll be fun when you come visit...

10:26 AM  
Blogger coldH2O said...

While you probably don't remember me, but welcome to the midwest. I'll never forget your driving skills.

11:07 PM  
Blogger rockslinga said...

rick? is that you? i am so touched that you still remember my driving skills. of course, i probably made you think those moments in my car would be the last moments of your life, but still...i'm touched.

:)

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home