Sunday, June 25, 2006

"Who you callin' Evil?"

I recently found out that the story I translated for the new anthology, Literature from the "Axis of Evil" will no longer be appearing there. As it turns out, all the Libyan authors who were slated to appear in the anthology have withdrawn in protest of its title. Can't say that I blame them...

The title has always left a funny taste in my mouth. Is it meant to be sarcastic? Ironic? Somehow calling something the same name that has been used as an excuse to launch a full-scale war and has caused the death of thousands and the ire of millions just to sell a few more copies or make an ironic statement just doesn't seem wise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I agree with the writers. Sorry your translation won't come out though...you're a good translator.

7:52 PM  
Blogger xtinehlee said...

I just realized that our life paths are crossing again...I am reading from this anthology for Litquake in SF! I have always used the phrase "axis of evil" in mockery, and it does bother me that this book validates the phrase as anything but a total joke.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home