Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Wuss in residence

Ever since I got here, I've been depending on other people's kindness to make sure I get home OK at night. I'd either walk back from dinner at 9:45, just before it got too dark (yes, it doesn't get dark here till after 10 PM), or I'd borrow Christine's flashlight. Last night, we all walked home before dark, but I made the mistake of going into the pumphouse "to check my email real quick." Two hours later, I walked out into pitch blackness. I left the pumphouse lights on, but it still got completely dark by the time I stepped a few feet away from it. So I walked to the bath house and borrowed a candle. Except the candle died a few feet down the road. So I had to rely completely on my internal compass to get back to my cottage. It was scary, the feeling that even though my eyes were open, they felt shut, but once I stopped imagining snakes and owls and coyotes, I was fine, and I got home. It felt good to trust myself.

5 Comments:

Blogger xtinehlee said...

oh! that totally sucks to walk in the darkness there, but i think it is a sort of rite of passage while at hedgebrook to "feel your way through the darkness." i too, got stuck in the pumphouse without a flashlight.

i opened up my laptop and tried to make the display light the way for me, but the light though very comforting, did not actually light up the path. so i shuffled along the gravel, feeling for the moss path to my cottage (until the moss shows up, it is all grass).

of course, i was chanting "K.I.T., Keep.It.Together" the whole way.

then you showed up and i had a companion in the dark.

4:52 PM  
Blogger xtinehlee said...

ok. i just realized i totally turned that whole comment and your post "about me."

*horrified!*

7:51 PM  
Blogger Elka said...

and poison ivy! don't forget about accidentally falling down and rubbing your boobies in a patch of poison ivy.
q

10:14 PM  
Blogger xtinehlee said...

thank goodness there is no poison ivy at hedgebrook!

12:07 PM  
Blogger rockslinga said...

yesterday i walked home alone at dusk after i cut my flowers, and loved it. it was sort of spooky, and crazy black cat was following, but it was breezy and the trees looked funky and cool.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home