Friday, November 17, 2006

Excuses, excuses

Here are some for why my blog posts have been so infrequent this week:

1. I wrote 4,500 words for a story.
2. I translated a chapter from Daoud's novel.
3. I wrote my first column for Make/Shift magazine.
4. I taught odes to kiddos.
5. It is my son's 10th birthday on Sunday ( I booked him a lane at a bowling alley).

I have a huge dread in the back of my head because I have had no time to brush my hair. But maybe I'll post more next week.

I am having a th'giving feast at my place. Here is the menu so far:

Salad Greens with Pear and Gorgonzola Vinaigrette
Baked Apple and Brie Canapés
Thyme and Rosemary, Brown Sugar Brined Turkey
Roasted Shallot Brown Gravy
Cranberry Pecan Stuffing with Cranberry Relish
Ginger-Cinnamon Maple Sweet Potatoes
Pomegranate Citrus-Cranberry Red Wine Sauce
Garlic Mashed Potatoes


Yeah! I wish my siblings could come and my friends could fly in from Austin and CA and NY. Come!

5 Comments:

Blogger xtinehlee said...

you are a badass!

and check out the menu--my mouth is watering, i'm licking the screen. and i don't even LIKE turkey!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Elka said...

damn girl, i am so flying by the seat of my pantses on my menu--and not yet sure if it'll be 10 or 20 people that will be there.

Your menu looks amazing. I'm all like "What should I do with this pumpkin I grew?" or, "If I put a ham on the grill will it cook fine?"

My answer to these questions is: I'll think about it later.

Har har.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Leila Abu-Saba said...

Dear Elka - pumpkin - google Roasted harvest vegetables in a baked pumpkin - a usenet post. Best use for a pumpkin - a container for other vegetables. Unless you are sure of your pumpkins, they are usually not that tasty. Jackolantern pumpkins are not for eating.

Re: the ham - don't you put it in the oven? I don't think it will be so great on the grill. If you want to borrow a crockpot, I have one and I live near our alma mater. I'm sure the crockpot recipe book will discuss how to cook it. It will be sort of steamed but you can pop it in a hot oven at the end to crisp the skin. I'm making this up.

Those ten extra people who may or may not show? Make them bring food!

Randa's menu is seriously impressive. We're having nothing so elaborate. I'm going to roast beets and toss them with a garlic-lemon vinaigrette and plenty of fresh dill. My MIL is doing turkey & trimmings, others in the party are contributing other things.

12:22 AM  
Blogger md said...

wow! I want to visit and go snowshoeing (sp?)

must. talk. soon.

xoxox michelle

4:26 AM  
Blogger xtinehlee said...

with the hubby so busy at work, and me getting itchy for travel, i may take you up on your offer one of these days and hop on a plane! just be forewarned though: i am sort of spontaneous when it comes to travel.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home