Friday, November 10, 2006

Yours Truly in El-Ahram This Week

From the article, Tanks and Stolen Guccis, in this week's El-Ahram:
Randa Jarrar's child-narrator watches women at a checkpoint being strip-searched by Israeli soldiers and wonders why they are forced to remove their shoes. When one woman becomes furious with a soldier, accusing her of stealing her sandals, she shouts, "First my land, now my Guccis. God damn it."

East certainly meets West with the image of the Guccis at the checkpoint and when Randa Jarrar read this story at the South Bank Centre in London, on 14 September 2006, this was the line that got the biggest laugh. It was the first time that most audience members had thought to associate dark humour with the current situation in Palestine.
Umm....I'm blushing. This is too cool.

11 Comments:

Blogger xtinehlee said...

Oh Randa--you are awesome! I am smiling for you, all the way here in Berkeley (well, actually Tahoe because I'm not in Berkeley literally). May there be more successes!!!! May there be more recognition for your work!

2:05 AM  
Blogger xtinehlee said...

btw, hi Rosemary!

2:07 AM  
Blogger md said...

wow!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Leila Abu-Saba said...

This is truly lovely. Good for you.

what's this about coming to Berkeley? Keep me informed! I live next door to Berkeley. Don't slip in and out without telling us, since you clearly have at least three fans here already, and probably more.

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dood, I need to introduce your work to Ferial. There's bound to be some way to pay you to do a reading at AUC.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i be your cook when you are rich and famous???

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU ARE FUCKING WONDERFUL!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Elka said...

If I know you, you're blushing and pretending to be shy but also like "Fuck yeah bitches, I rule!"

Berkeley's lame--Oakland's where we're keeping it real.

Throwdown!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Elka said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Leila Abu-Saba said...

Hi Elka - how's it going?

4:27 AM  
Blogger Leila Abu-Saba said...

And I hope Randa is saying "Fuck yeah bitches, I rule!" Because she rules.

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home