Friday, October 12, 2007

Eid Mubarak!

Happy Eid to all you fasters out there.

I called my folks in Kuwait to wish them a Eid Mubarak, and my mom answered and sounded nasal. I asked her if she had a cold, and she said no. She said she'd spent the day partying with friends and that she and my dad were winding down and watching their Eid Tamsiliyyas (the Egyptian version of telenovelas or soaps). She tried to convince me to get ART and other Arabic channels. We chatted some more and then she handed the phone to my dad. My dad sounded nasal too.

"Baba, are you sick?"
"No, no."
"Are you sure? You and Mom sound nasal. You sound like you have a cold."
"No."
"You do. You have a cold."
"No. I was crying. We're watching tamsiliyyas. This one was so good. You have to watch it."
"You were crying?"
"Yes. This character has a kid young, then spends her whole life being there for him. Then he makes a mistake that causes her death. She dies! Then, he discovers he'salmost 60 and can't live without his mother. It's so sad!"

My parents are so sweet, y'all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leila Abu-Saba said...

Darlin' happy Eid to you!

Glad to hear about all the peace, love and understanding on the telephone lines.

Blessings to you and yours on this holiday...

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home