Tuesday, January 08, 2008

'Twenties Obsession

I've become a bit obsessed with the 1920s since reading A Moveable Feast. I picked up The Sun Also Rises, but lost interest when they went to Spain. I'm now reading Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin, about Dorothy Parker, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Edna Ferber, and Zelda Fitzgerald, and the larger circle of "famous people" they hung out with. I know it's set just before the '20s, but I recently saw Reds for the first time (thanks to Russell) and now I'll be reading Queen of Bohemia, about Louise Bryant.

I wonder if there were any "Syrian" ladies hanging around New York in the Twenties, writing fiction and poems. Maybe someone whose family came to the US in 1890? Seems like a ripe idea to explore in a novel. I'll just put it here, in the pile of "ideas for second novel" by my desk.

Back to my Orange Blossom.

5 Comments:

Blogger Elka said...

I've been reading the Millay bio What Lis My Lips Have Kissed, about her love life. She's so fascinating, as is her marriage to Eugen Bossevain, who, bestill my heart, sounds like t he world's ultimate man.

I felt the same obsesion about the 20s when I read A Moveable Feast as well.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duuuude. I.LOVE.THE.TWENTIES. I love the clothes, the literature, and art deco....and my favorite novel of all time is The Great Gatsby.

11:20 PM  
Blogger rockslinga said...

Glad my sistas agree that the twenties rock. Though I have to admit: I hate The Great Gatsby. I know: sacrilege. I just don't get it.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's okay--liking The Great Gatsby is not a life requirement. I just happen to lurrrv it, craft wise (the "as if" told first person narrative) and story wise (The American Dream, the tragedy of Gatsby, the critique of the 20s and material wealth), and character wise (Jay Gatsby!).

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always try to imagine Arabs in America's history...just the other day I was watching School Ties (you remember that guilty pleasure?;) and wondering about Arabs hanging out in the 50s. So thats obviously more modern but it would still be fascinating to explore :)

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home