Friday, January 11, 2008

Viva La Resistance!

Weight resistance, I mean.

After years and years of being all, "I love my body! Fuck diet and exercise!" This week I decided that yes, fuck diet, but no, not exercise. I feel sluggish most of the day, and it affects everything: from the way I move to the way I think to the way I interact with people. I want to be able to feel stronger and healthier. I don't necessarily want to lose weight, just lift it.


So that's what I'll be doing, three times a week, at an all-ladies facility. I have a personal trainer who kicks my ass. And there's something liberating and empowering about doing sit-ups.

And you know what? It's good for my teaching and writing. After benching and lifting weights, I go home and planning a class seems "easy." Revising a story? Not as painful as I once thought.

I like it. And I love the old ladies I work out with. They're so no nonsense, I feel like I belong.

More updates on this later, maybe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elka said...

not that we're psychically connected or anything, but last night I had a dream that you were visiting to read a short story at an Arab writers conference at Cal, and you looked amazing. You were all curvy and boobalicious and rockslinga still, but you were also all strong and muscly, too.

:)

4:02 PM  
Blogger rockslinga said...

We are too psychically connected. I love it!!! I hope to get to see you soon, too.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Randa! I love my all lady gym too :). Good luck with the exercise..I hope it will make you feel great!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home