Sunday, March 09, 2008

Wordplay

Debride
From debridement |diˈbrēdmənt|
noun Medicine
the removal of damaged tissue or foreign objects from a wound.
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from French, from débrider, literally ‘unbridle,’ based on bride ‘bridle’ (of Germanic origin).

I like this word because it sounds like someone undoing a Bride. Debride, as in to down or do away with a bride; to remove or reverse her; to form from a bride. To bride off, to bride from.

After the First Zionist Congress in 1897, the rabbis of Vienna decided to dispatch a two man fact-finding team to Palestine. The men's reply upon reaching Palestine: "The Bride is beautiful, but she is married to another man." Now the bride has been debrided. The damaged tissue/locals have been removed from the wound/Palestine.

The word reminds me of an Emir Kusturica movie, a Carson McCullers teen, a divorced carny. I'm not sure why. But I love when I word can give you a feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home